Shockers, Cowgirls meet for the third time this season
Tuesday April 27 | 6 p.m. CT
State of Wichita v State of Oklahoma # 11
Giveaway T-Shirt – The first 150 fans to walk through the doors will receive a FREE Shocker Softball t-shirt.
WICHITA, Kan. – Wichita State and the Oklahoma State No.11 meet for the third time this season in a rubber game at Wilkins Stadium.
• Wichita State is 5-4-1 in its last 10 games.
• Wichita State abandoned their first conference series of the season last weekend against USF.
• Short stop Sydney McKinney ranks 2nd in the NCAA for hits with 68. She is currently on a 10-game streak.
• Wichita State tied the school record with a 13-game winning streak. The 2005 Shockers also won 13.
• The head coach Kristi bredbenner recorded his 600th career victory on April 13 against Kansas City.
• The Shockers have hit five Grand Slam tournaments this season.
• First-year student Addison barnard broke the single-season home run record on April 13 against Kansas City with his 17th home run of the season. Cacy Williams established the mark with 16 in 2014. Barnard now has 19 home runs.
• Barnard also has 51 RBIs this season, the most in a single season in program history. She passed Cacy Williams (50) on April 25.
• Wichita State had consecutive conference series sweeps (Memphis and Houston) for the first time since joining the American Athletic Conference.
• Home Run Queen: Madison Perrigan became Wichita State’s all-time leader against Missouri State on March 5 with his 40th career home run.
• Perrigan became the RBI’s all-time leader of the program on March 11 against Missouri State with 154 career points.
• Wichita State hit 79 home runs in 43 games, which ranks 3rd nationally.
• Seven players on the roster have hit five or more home runs so far this season.
• Wichita State ranks in the top 30 nationally for home runs per game (5th), walks (7th), slugging percentage (10th), scores (15th), base percentage (19th), doubles (30th) and batting average (29th)).
• Sophomore Lauren Mills set the single-game home run record against Lamar on Feb. 20 when she completed three home runs – two in one set.
• Wichita State sacked nine starters from the previous season and 16 letter winners in all.
• Wichita State was selected to finish fifth by league coaches in the 2021 preseason poll.
• Wichita State is dismissing four artists from all conferences as of 2019: Madison Perrigan (First team), Ryleigh buck (First team), Sydney McKinney (First team, All-Rookie team) and Erin mcdonald (Second team).
LAST EXTINGUISHING TIME
Wichita State just finished its first loss of the season in the conference series. The Shockers lost three of four games to USF last weekend behind Georgina Corrick’s dominant pitch. USF won the first game, 2-1; third game, 3-0; and the fourth game, 8-1. Wichita State’s only victory came in Game 2, a 14-3 rule over five innings. The Shockers struck 29 times against Corrick and scored just two runs. In the Shockers’ victory, Wichita State surrounded five home runs, including two from Madison Perrigan. Addison barnard broke the RBI record in a single season in the series.
SCOUTING THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA
Oklahoma State enters the game midweek with 36-5 overall and 11-1 in the Big 12 this season. The Cowgirls are in the Top 15 in all four major polls, reaching No.8. Chelsea Alexander breaks a team record of .427, while Hayley Busby (14 HR, 37 RBI) and Alysen Febrey (12 HR, 43 RBI)) provide the power. In the circle, OSU leans on player of the year finalist Carrie Eberle. Eberle is 16-1 with a 0.81 ERA, 108 strikeouts in 112.1 innings. Cowgirl’s pitching staff has a Team ERA of 1.36, good for 6th place in the NCAA. Their 16 shutouts rank second nationally.
STORY OF THE SERIES
The State of Wichita and the State of Oklahoma have a series history dating back to 1978. The two programs have met over 100 times over the years. Oklahoma State has dominated the all-time series with the Cowgirls holding an 83-13 record against the Shockers. Under coach Bredbenner, Wichita State held their own, going 6-11 in 17 games.
LAST MEETING WITH THE COWGIRLS
The two teams met earlier this season at the Mizuno Classic in Stillwater. Wichita State and Oklahoma State met twice over the weekend, with both teams winning a game. The Shockers won Game 1, 9-2, before the Cowgirls rebounded to win 5-2 on the final day of play.
SURVEY FOR REFLECTIONS
Wichita state soared in the USA Today / NFCA Top 25 Coaching Poll for the first time in program history on April 13. The Shockers received 61 votes to enter the standings at No.25 This week, the Shockers have climbed two places to No.23. Wichita State sits 20th for the second straight week in Softball D1’s Top 25. The Shockers rounded out the four polls by placing in Softball America’s Top 25 (# 20) and ESPN / USA Softball Top 25. (# 23) April 20.
A BEGINNING FOR THE BOOKS OF RECORDINGS
Wichita State is 33-9-1 so far this season. This mark is the best record of the first 43 games in the history of the program. The 2021 Shockers were the fastest to achieve 30 wins in school history, requiring just 35 games.
Wichita State and UCF played one of the most exciting competitions of the season on Sunday, April 18. Especially when you consider that the match ended in a 0-0 draw. As for aimless games, it wasn’t short of drama. The two teams fought for 11 innings before the game was called due to the undead rule and Wichita state’s travel arrangements. It was only the second tie in the history of the program. Wichita State and Kansas played a 2-2 draw on April 30, 1991.
MORE ABOUT THE VS. UCF
According to the American Athletic Conference, last weekend’s series between Wichita State No.25 and UCF No.23 was the first AAC series to feature two league teams ranked in the Top 25.
First-year student Addison barnard broke the single-season home run record on April 13 against Kansas City with his 17th of the season. She broke a tie with Cacy Williams who set the record in 2014. Barnard only needed 34 games to break the program record, as a true rookie. Plus, now 19 home runs are the most player-scarred in American Athletic Conference history. She is also seven home runs away from making a career Top 10 at Wichita State in just one season.
Wichita State has already set a program record for conference wins as a member of the American. They are 15-4-1 at this point. The Shockers’ 15 wins are the biggest since joining the league in 2018. They only needed 14 games to reach 13th place. The Shockers went 12-9 (.571) to tie for third in the U.S. standings in their debut season in 2018 and added a matching record of 12-9 to take fourth in solo in 2019.
BOAST FORT RPI SHOCKS
In the latest iteration of RPI 2021, Wichita State sits in 30th place after a 33-9-1 start in the regular season. Top 50 Wichita State opponents include: Oklahoma at No.8, Oklahoma State at No.13, Texas at No.15, UCF at No.36, Iowa State at No.42, Kansas at # 43 and USF at # 46. The state of South Dakota is just outside at # 52.
Beware of launchers
In the first 43 games of the season, Wichita State hit 79 home runs, a rating good enough to place fourth nationally. The school’s single-season homerun record was 59 set in 2018. The Shockers eclipsed that mark on April 10 against Houston, needing only 31 games.
Sophomore Sydney McKinney has been a terror to opposing pitchers since the start of the league. In 20 games, McKinney is 39 in 72 (0.542) at home with four homers, 15 RBIs, eight stolen goals and 27 runs scored. The first hitter enjoyed a career multi-game 11-game streak before being snapped in the final against Houston on April 11.
Wichita State has selected three ranked teams so far this season. Wichita State won 3 of 4 at 23rd in UCF this weekend – the first time beating a ranked team in three straight games. The overthrow of the 8/6 Oklahoma State Shockers on Thursday, March 18 was the program’s highest ranked victory in program history. The victory at Stillwater was only the fifth victory in OSU history and marked the biggest margin of victory over the Cowgirls. Wichita State’s victory over No.23 from Iowa State on March 7 in Arlington was their first victory over a ranked foe since May 2019. The Shockers are 5-2-1 this season against ranked teams in the top 25. The two losses were of No. 7 Texas and Oklahoma 8/6 State.
Wichita State belted 13 home runs last weekend in the series against Creighton. The Shockers hit five in Game One, six in Game Two and two in the Final. The six home runs in Game 2 were tied for the second most home runs in school history for single game home runs. Addison barnard (3), Madison Perrigan (2), Neleigh herring (2), Lauren Mills (2), Ryleigh buck (1), Jessica garcia (1), Bailee Nickerson (1) and Sydney McKinney (1) all hit long balls in the three game sweep.
BACK-TO-BACK 2X IN THE SAME OTHER
In Wichita State’s Creighton 13-3 rule in Game 2 of the series, Addison barnard and Madison Perrigan hit two consecutive home runs in the same inning. Barnard opened the third inning with a two-point shot followed by Perrigan’s solo homerun. After the lineout had a quarrel, Barnard drove in three on a blast to the left, immediately followed by Perrigan’s second solo shot of the round.
No Shocker had ever made three home runs in a single match … until February 20, 2021. Sophomore Lauren Mills marked his name in the record books in a big way against Lamar. The Topeka, Kan. Native, set a new school record with three bombs in the game, including two in the same inning, while driving a career RBI six-RBI record.
STAY IN THE LOOP
Follow the Shocker Softball Program on Twitter (@GoShockersSB) for game content and updates. You can also become a Wichita State Softball fan on Facebook (GoShockersSB) and Instagram (goshockerssb).
Wichita State concludes the conference with a trip to Tulsa to respond to the hurricane, April 30 to May 2.